Hi everyone! It’s Cat Kenny from the 14Y’s After School Program. Recently, I wrote with some recipes to help get your kids cooking. Now I want to share some of my favorite baking recipes!
Baking is one of my favorite ways to de-stress! I much prefer baking to cooking because the recipes are very specific and there’s less improvisation than with cooking. Some people really dislike baking for this reason, but I find it comforting. Especially now, in times of such uncertainty, I love the idea that with these very clear steps, you can make something delicious to make the whole family smile!
Here are some of my favorite easy-to-bake recipes that’ll make you feel like a Great British Bake-Off Champion!
Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated (white) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix melted butter with brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add egg to butter mixture and mix lightly.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour with salt and baking soda.
- Gradually combine dry mixture with wet mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 1.5 inch diameter balls.
- Bake for 5 1/2 minutes, then turn pan. Bake for another 5 1/2 minutes.
Frozen Banana Yogurt Pops
- 3 bananas, peeled and cut in half
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt (or flavor of choice)
- Sprinkles (or topping of choice—dehydrated fruits, cookie crumbs, etc)
- Popsicle sticks
- Peel and halve banana, insert popsicle sticks into each half.
- Dip bananas into yogurt, using a spoon to help evenly cover the banana. Let excess yogurt drip off.
- Add sprinkles or topping of choice.
- Place bananas on plate covered with wax or parchment paper.
- Let bananas freeze for around 2 hours. Give enough time for bananas to freeze through.
I hope you give these recipes a try with your family. And please share with us what you’re baking at home with your kids in our After School Facebook Group!
We’re offering two hours of virtual After School activities each weekday for registered families, including games, hangouts, and enrichment classes, to help children stay social and give busy parents a break. For more information on how to join the After School live stream, please email AfterSchool@14StreetY.org.