Welcome to Summer Club!
We cannot wait see all our friends here together for eight weeks of play and community. Please read this letter carefully for information about how things will run during this program.
We also know that for many families, Summer Club is the first activity you or your child are doing and we want you to know that we get it that that may feel stressful, and we are so glad you’re here, and that we understand that this past year has taken its toll. We are, above all else, a Community Center—not just a camp—so please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or thoughts about how we can help your family during this challenging time.
14Y Summer Club
A camp-like experience for toddlers ages 1 – 3 and caregivers
Summer 2022 Dates and Rates Coming Soon!
Join 14Y Family Programs at the 14Y facilities to make new friends, sing, dance, and play together at our new Summer Club! Each day will feature water play outdoors on our spacious rooftop, as well as art and music. Children begin to get used to a “classroom” experience and their caregivers have time to chat and develop community.
Summer Club is sold out! Visit our Family Programs page for more summer classes and groups for you and your little one!
Health And Safety
Below are important measures that we anticipate will be in place this summer in order to keep our campers, our staff, and their families, healthy and safe all summer long. These guidelines were created using the Department of Health guidelines for Camps that were recently released, best practices recommended by the CDC, and in consultation with our partner physicians at Mount Sinai Beth Israel. Please note that this list might change as the state of the virus evolves and we continue to receive guidance from the DOH, CDC, and NY State.
Arrival and Health Screenings:
- Summer Club begins at 9:30 and meets on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. We will ask you to arrive at staggered times between 9:10 and 9:25 so that we have time to move you through the lobby with our screening process. More details to follow.
- Summer Club is a non-separated program. Please reply to this email letting us know who is the “regular” adult who will be coming with your child. It is okay if sometimes a different person comes, but we ask you to let us know a day in advance if it won’t be the usual adult.
- All families attending (and staff) will participate in daily health screenings when they arrive at the Y which includes contactless temperature checks and standard questionnaires regarding potential risks and exposures.
- Entrance procedures: After you pass through the health screening, please either use the hand sanitizer station in the lobby or use the lobby bathroom to wash hands before going up to the Roof.
- Summer Club will begin on the Rooftop play area. After we finish Rooftop Play we will go to our classroom on the 4th Floor. There are bathrooms on the 4th floor and in the lobby. In the event of inclement weather, we will begin our day in Classroom 403.
A Day At The Club
- After cleaning hands in the lobby, families will start the day on our rooftop play area. You can get there by walking up the stairs (5 flights) or by taking the elevator.
- When it is time to leave the rooftop, caregivers will change their children into dry clothes and bring them down to the fourth floor classroom, washing hands before entering the classroom.
- During classroom time, there will be motor play, art projects, music and snack.
- As this is a non-separated class, an adult must be in the room with their child for the entirety of the Summer Club.
- Some little ones naturally join right in with the activities, shaking their shakers, making art and so forth. But other children need to observe from the sidelines first. There is no rush! If your little one isn’t joining in, don’t sweat it. They learn how to be in class by being there, by listening, and most of all by watching and imitating you! So join in on the play and ham it up!
- If your child is young enough for this program, we understand that a substantial percentage of their life has been during the pandemic. This may be their first experience in a classroom or with other kids or adults they don’t know. It’s okay. We are seeing that kids are getting the hang of being together quickly, because it’s what they’re meant to do.
- Summer Club is a musical program because we love to sing! We hope that you continue to sing some of the songs at home; this also helps your child adjust to new routines. We also suggest that you meet up with other Summer Club friends at playgrounds and other places, which also helps your child build familiarity with new people.
Each week we will explore a different theme through the summer:
- Week 1: Getting to Know You/ City Kid Summer
- Week 2: Splash Splash
- Week 3: Movin’ and Groovin’
- Week 4: Animals All Around
- Week 5: Science and Nature
- Week 6: Summer Club in Color
- Week 7: Drippy, Sticky, Squishy
- Week 8: Tall Tales
Please dress your little one in a swimsuit under their clothes to start the day with water play on the roof, as well as closed-toe water shoes that fit securely on their feet. Please come in a swimsuit regardless of weather!
You will also need:
- Waterproof Swim Bag – to send wet towels and swimsuits home at the end of the day
- A complete change of seasonally appropriate clothing to leave in your child’s cubby (tops, bottoms, socks and 2 pairs of underwear)
- Sunscreen: you can apply it at home before you come or on the roof upon arrival.
- Nut-free snack
- Reusable water bottle
- Sun hat is nice but optional
Summer 2021 Health and Safety Protocols
Mask Requirement: As many of you are aware, the New York State Department of Health released updated guidance on Monday, May 24th stating that while outdoor mask wearing during day camp activities is encouraged, it is no longer required, and the approach is left to each camp’s discretion. We are considering these recommendations regarding outdoor masking and how they best fit in with our plan to keep your children safe and healthy this summer, including allowing unmasked time on our roof play area. We will update families before camp, but please note that masks WILL still be required indoors for anyone age 2 and over, with the exception of eating and drinking.
Cleaning and Disinfecting: All shared areas, equipment and educational tools will undergo increased cleaning and disinfecting. The Y has increased hand washing and sanitizing stations throughout the building.
Snack: Snack will be eaten in the classroom. Children will be distanced appropriately and there will be no sharing of food or drink. Please do not bring nuts.
Symptomatic Camper and Staff Member Procedures: If a child or adult presents with COVID-19 symptoms while they are at the 14Y, they will be required to depart immediately. The majority of our staff building-wide are already vaccinated. Unvaccinated Summer Club participants and building staff are required to show a negative test result after an issue of mandatory quarantining due to exposure to COVID-19 and based on the travel restrictions below.
Travel Restrictions: Non-vaccinated individuals traveling domestically outside of New York and its contiguous states (CT, MA, NJ, PA, VT) must exercise quarantine before returning in-person to an Educational Alliance program, including Summer Club.
Quarantine Periods: The following are options for quarantine and testing following travel or exposure to a person with COVID. All options require daily symptom monitoring for a period of 14 days and those who develop symptoms should obtain a COVID-19 PCR test and are excused from activities until the test result returns. 1. Obtain a negative COVID-19 PCR test three (3) days before departure and four (4) days after arrival back in New York, or 2. Self-quarantine for seven (7) days after arrival in New York or last exposure to person with COVID and obtain a negative COVID-19 PCR test on or after day five (5) of your quarantine. Individuals who travel domestically, are asymptomatic, and can provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination are not required to quarantine. Anyone travelling internationally is required to follow the CDC recommended guidelines and testing protocol before returning in-person to Educational Alliance programs. 3. Self-quarantine for ten (10) days after arrival in New York or last exposure to person with COVID.
Refund Policy: Enrollment fee is refundable less the $250 deposit up until June 4 th. After that time, no tuition will be refundable unless 14Y does not run camp due to COVID-19.
Camp Closure Policy for Confirmed Cases of COVID-19: Based on the latest guidance from the Governor’s office, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the NYC Department of Health (DOH), and our medical advisors at Mount Sinai Beth Israel, our COVID-19 camp closure policy is as follows:
- If a camper or staff member tests positive for COVID-19 we will conduct contact tracing to determine who was potentially exposed and considered a close contact. All non-vaccinated close contacts of the community member who tests positive will quarantine during this period. Vaccinated individuals will monitor daily for symptoms but may return to camp.
- If there are two or more confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a 7-day period, the Department of Health may instruct us to close our whole camp for a minimum of 24 hours to conduct contact tracing.
- During this time, the Department of Health will conduct contact tracing to investigate the potential exposures and possible linkage between the positive cases.
- Based on this investigation, the Department of Health will determine next steps for our camp. This may include—but is not limited to—targeted group or bus closures or a closure of the entire camp for up to 10 days from the date of last possible exposure.
- Please send us a current color photo of your child for their cubby.
- Please send us a photo of your child with the rest of the family for a wall montage of who we are. If you don’t have a photo of your child + family + caregiver, it’s okay to send two!
- Please let us know what your child calls parent(s) and caregiver, so that we can use the right names!
We can’t wait to spend the summer with you!