- Note: The 14th Street Y will be closed on Thursday, November 23 for Thanksgiving. We will resume normal operating hours on Friday, November 24. Have a safe and happy holiday!
Who is TTSC for?
Teens entering 8th to 12th grade with a passion for theater are welcome at TTSC! We tailor our curriculum based on student experience, so we welcome students ranging from those that are new to the stage and those that have worked professionally. During the day, teens will work in various groupings: by grade, by interest, and in whole group sessions. If your teen has special needs or requires special services at school, please reach out to the TTSC staff prior to submitting your application so we can develop an individual plan for your teen.
In some cases, sliding scale fees can be negotiated. For more information, please contact Jenni Zeftel, Director of Summer Programs.
Will I get to be in a show?
Yes! Both sessions of TTSC culminate in a student showcase in our professional, Off Off Broadway black box theater. Showcases are free to the public - family and friends are encouraged to attend!
Who teaches at TTSC?
The TTSC staff is made up of professional artists and program administrators as well as guest artists and workshop facilitators.
Director of Summer Programs: Jenni Zeftel
9-Day Theater Lab Staff: David Stallings, Courtney Smith, Becky Skoff
Musical Theater Intensive Staff: Sharone Havley, Emily Erickson
9-Day Theater Lab: July 3 - 14 (no camp July 4)
Musical Theater Intensive: July 17 - 28
Camp runs from 10 AM - 4 PM every day.
What’s Jewish about camp?
Teen Theater Summer Camp is a program of the 14th Street Y, which is a Jewish Community Center. You do not have to be Jewish to be in our community. All you need is a love of learning and a willingness to explore Jewish cultural themes and sensibilities. This summer at camp, we will explore the concept of Shabbat (the Jewish Sabbath). Shabbat is a time for togetherness, peace, and celebration. So is camp. And so is theater. And so is summer.
The work that we’ll do at TTSC this summer will be guided by the following three Jewish sensibilities, specifically: Areyvut (community mindedness), Shleimut (wholeness and peace), and Ometz Lev (courage). We’ll culminate both sessions of TTSC in a Shabbat showcase which will combine and celebrate all three of the aforementioned character traits.
What does TTSC cost?
14th Street Y Member
|9 Day Theater Lab||$900||$950|
|Musical Theater Intensive||$950||$1,000|
Other things to know about camp:
- We are a nut-free camp, due to some severe allergies of 14th Street Y Camp participants.
- Teens bring their own lunch every day, and a healthy, kosher snack will be provided each afternoon.
- Our interns are college students enrolled in theater conservatory programs and they provide excellent mentorship to the teens in camp.
- Teens will get to work one-on-one with industry professionals and our teaching staff to develop their personal skills and interests.
- Camp includes audition prep for high school, college, community, and professional auditions.
If you have any additional questions, email [email protected] or call the Summer Programs office at 646-395-4355.