- Note: The gymnasium and pool will be closed through September 5 for cleaning and maintenance. Click here for information on swimming, basketball, and alternate class locations.
Culture & Community
Family Fit Day
Sunday, October 21st:
Fun Walk and Roll: Registration 9am-10am, Walk 10am-11am
Family Fit Day: 11am-2pm
The 14th Street Y knows how important health and fitness is for everyone. A sustainable lifestyle includes healthy food, fresh air, a little downtime, and plenty of exercise. This is true for adults, teens and now more than ever, our kids!
To kick off our Family Fit initiative, we’re hosting our FUN WALK and ROLL at 9a.m. on Sunday, October 21. Walk, skip, or push a stroller to support one of our best family fitness resources, our Play Roof. This initiative was proposed and led by our own members, and with your support it will be an amazing time!
Those who participate in our Fun Walk and Roll also get FREE admission to our FAMILY FIT DAY.
Schedule of events:
Fun walk and Roll and Family Fit Day
9:00AM registration begins for Fun Walk
10:00AM Fun Walk begins!
11:15AM Concert by Tim Kubart and brunch from Ciao for Now for Walkers only!
Family Fit Day
(free if you FUN WALK, $25 per family for everyone else!)
· Rock wall!
· Martial Arts Sparring!
· Relay Races!
· Fitness contests!
· 1:15PM Soccer Activity by Special Guests: SUPER SOCCER STARS!
Chair Massages for adults by East Village Body Works
Sushi by Beyond Sushi
Granola by Tu-Lu Gluten Free bakery
Why Family Fitness? Family Fit day is $25 for the whole family! FREE for Fun Walk and Roll Participants.
Because we understand that families are busy, we know that combining exercise with fun and being together is the best way to ensure a healthy amount of activity. With your membership you and your kids can enjoy:
and Special fitness intensives for the family the 2nd Sunday of every month.
This next generation of Americans could be the first to have shorter, less healthy lives than their parents. Because of this, the 14th Street Y is making Family Fitness a priority in 2012!
- Right now in the United States, between 16 and 33 percent of children and adolescents are obese.
- Unhealthy weight gain due to poor diet and lack of exercise is responsible for over 300,000 deaths each year. The annual cost to society for obesity is estimated at nearly $100 billion.
- Overweight children are much more likely to become overweight adults unless they adopt and maintain healthier patterns of eating and exercise.
- If these trends continue, Obese American children and teenagers today are on track to have poor health throughout their adult lives.
- Childhood obesity rates have more than tripled since 1980, and current data show that almost one-third of children over 2 years of age are already overweight or obese
To learn more about keeping your family active visit Let'sMove.gov.
To donate to our Play Roof Campaign, click here.