1. Where do I check in when I arrive to the gym?
Security is the first thing you see when you walk in the door. Scan your card here.
2. What are the gym hours?
We’re open from 6am-10pm Monday through Friday and on Saturday and
3. Do I have to sign up in advance to take a group fitness class?
Nope. Just come ready to work out!
4. Does someone show me how to use the equipment when I come in for the first time?
Sure. Please contact Adja Diarra to schedule your free Personal Training session at
646-395-4358; or Adja_Diarra@14Streety.org
5. What happens if I use baby-sitting for more than one hour?
Babysitting is a great value for members at the Y. Purchase a 10 hour card for $50. We’ll
punch your card for every hour you use.
6. Is there a sign up for cardio machines? Where is the sign up?
At times the fitness center can get busy, and at those times we do have a sign up. It’s
located by the magazine rack at the front of the fitness center.
7. How do the lockers work? Do I bring my own lock to store my belongings?
Our lockers are free for daytime use only. Bring a lock and choose one of our larger lockers
for storage. If you wish to rent a locker, please visit the service desk in the lobby.
8. Can I freeze my membership?
You can! Members may freeze their membership free of charge for up to 3 months once
per year by letting us know at the service desk in writing. The freeze begins that same day.
10. How do I cancel my membership?
We hope you’ll never have to cancel! If you do need to go, please stop by the service desk
and see Andrew Cotlar anytime before the end of the month in order to avoid being
charged for the following month. (ie. Let us know by January 31st in order to avoid being
charged in February). Cancellation for annual memberships are not accepted.
11. Do you have floor trainers in the fitness center?
Our fitness center is always staffed with friendly fitness monitors. They are there to show
you how the equipment works and answer any questions.
12. Where do I buy a swim cap? Is it mandatory to wear one in the pool?
We do require swim caps at the 14th Street Y. We sell them at the service desk if you
13. How do guest passes work?
You get 3 guest passes per year with your membership. Use them to work out with your
friends who would like a treat, or give them to your out of town guests. If you’d like more
guest passes, you can purchase them at the member rate of $15 per pass.
A non-member who wishes to purchase a day pass may do so for $20 per day.
14. Do I bring my own towel?
Yes, we are BYOT here at the Y.
15. How crowded does the pool get in the morning? How crowded does the gym get?
As with most gyms, the hours before and after the workday attract more people. It’s
busiest from 7:00am - 8:30am and 6:00 - 8:00pm. We have more classes and
equipment than ever to accommodate everyone, and we address seasonal crowding
with special programs as needed.
16. How much are personal training sessions?
A personal training session is $60 per hour. You can save by buying packages of 11 or 5.
17. What makes the 14th Street Y different from other fitness clubs?
As your neighborhood JCC we value the importance of integrity, respectful communication
and community. We will never raise your rates randomly or change policies without doing
our best to let you know. If we do raise a membership rate, we do it to reflect changes in
cost of operations, and then never more than once per year, nor usually more than 3%.
We want you to feel welcome and heard, and want you to let us know how we can make
your experience better. Contact us anytime at commentcard@14StreetY.org