Aquatics FAQ & Policies
Locker Room Usage
- Due to COVID protocols, our locker rooms are open for scheduled swimmers to change only. Our showers are currently closed.
- Maintain 6 feet social distancing at all times, in all areas.
- Face masks must be worn at all times except while swimming.
- Currently all lap lanes need to be reserved for 30-minute swim sessions, and only one adult to a lane.
- Please do not leave your belongings in the locker room overnight unless you have arranged for a locker rental. Please inquire at the Service Desk.
- No eating or drinks in glass containers are allowed in locker rooms , or in the changing or pool deck areas
- All participants must shower before entering the pool using the shower on pool deck.
- Bathing caps are required for all participants (adults and children) at all times. They are available for purchase at the Service Desk.
- Children up to 3 years old or those not yet potty trained must wear swim diapers. They are available for purchase at the Service Desk.
- Goggles are optional and also available for purchase at the Service Desk.
- There is no towel service at the 14th street Y. Please bring a towel for yourself. This is also available for purchase at the Service Desk.
- Sandals/Flip flops are optional, but recommended.
1. What do I need to swim at the 14Y?
Everyone in the pool needs a swim cap, a bathing suit, and a towel from home.
2. What’s the chlorine and PH level?
As per Department of Health (DOH), we keep the chlorine level at around 2.0, in the middle of the suggested range, which is 1.0 – 3.0. The PH is normally at 7.4, also right in the middle of DOH recommended range, which is 7.2 – 7.6.
3. What’s the pool temperature?
We keep the pool 84 degrees. The deck temperature is between 80–84 degrees.
4. What is the length of the pool?
The pool is 20 yards (18.28 meters) long.
5. What amenities do you have in the locker rooms?
Our locker rooms are currently open for changing only. Our showers and sauna remain closed.
6. What can’t I bring onto the pool deck with me?
Street shoes, food and cell phones are not allowed on the pool deck.
7. Anything else I should know?
Please think of safety first! No running on the pool deck. Alert a lifeguard if you experience or see trouble.
8. Can I bring a guest?
The 14Y is not offering guest passes for aquatics use during this time
9. I’m interested in private swim lessons, who should I contact?
Miguel Pagan, 14Y’s Aquatics Director, can help you schedule private lessons. Please email him at MPagan@14streety.org.
Please note that Adult and Children’s Aquatic Classes are not running at this time.
If you have questions, concerns, or comments please contact Miguel Pagan, 14Y’s Aquatics Director, at MPagan@14streety.org or call 646.395.4315.