Dance Residency Submissions
Applications Close October 15 at 11:59 PM
14Y Dance Residency
OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The 14Y will select two choreographers/dance collectives to be Artists in Residence for January–February 2024.
The residency is for works in progress and developmental choreography projects. All dance forms, genres, and disciplines are welcome and encouraged to apply. Choreographers may be at any stage of their career.
- Application opens September 8, 2023
- Application closes October 15, 2023 at 11:59 PM
- Applicants will be notified by November 20, 2023
Dates of Residency:
- Studio Rehearsals: Monday, January 29 – Sunday, February 11, 2024
- Theater Rehearsals/Tech: Monday, February 12 – Friday, February 16, 2024
- Performances: Friday, February 16 – Sunday February 18, 2024
14Y Dance Residency Guidelines:
- The 14Y Arts + Culture Team is only able to accept the first 100 applications.
- The residency will be three weeks long, January 29 – February 18, 2024.
- Resident artists are expected to rehearse and fully utilize ALL of the dates and times of their residency. We will work with residents to select/provide studio time blocks that fit best within their schedules
- Residents will be expected to present 20-40 minutes of material at a showcase performance with a shared bill for up to three performance times.
- Applications are available September 8 to October 15, 2023 at 11:59 PM (EDT),
All applications will be reviewed by the 14Y artistic staff and artistic advisory committee.
- The 14Y will keep all proceeds of box office/ticket sales from performance dates, and will manage and provide front of house staffing.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older at the time of application.
- Applicants must be available January 29 through February 18, 2024. Please do not apply if you have significant conflicts during this time.
- Applicants may not be enrolled in high school, an undergraduate program, or a graduate program at the time of residency.
- The 14Y accepts applications from dance artists working in all performance disciplines.
- The 14Y welcomes artists at any stage of their career to apply.
- Applicants are not limited to a specific geographic location, however, travel and accommodation are the financial responsibility of the applicant. International participants are responsible for their own visas, travel, living, and housing expenses and arrangements.
- It is the policy of 14Y to provide equal opportunity to all applicants and to oppose all forms of discrimination, including discrimination based on sex, race, color, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, and physical condition.
- 2 weeks of studio rehearsal up to 40 Hours (to be utilized over the course of the two to three weeks).
- 1 week in theater of shared rehearsals and 1 day of tech.
- 2-3 performances with a shared bill (30-40 minutes of performance per choreographer).
- $800 stipend per choreographer to use at their discretion.
- Sound and lighting technician for tech & performances.
- Basic marketing and promotional support, which could be inclusion on the 14Y website and in relevant newsletters, posts and cross promotions on 14Y social media channels, the display of posters and printed collateral (post cards, flyers, etc.), and other support based on the capacity of the 14Y Marketing team
- Discount ticket code for use by friends, family, and associates
- 2 comp tickets per choreographer, and 1 comp per performer/dancer.
- Unlimited industry comp tickets for industry individuals like agents, bookers, etc.
- 14Y Theater will only accept the first 100 applications.
- 14Y Theater accepts applications from individual artists as well as collaboratives. If applying as a collaborative, please complete a single application in the discipline most applicable to your shared project, and list no more than one lead artist.
- 14Y Theater Residencies are not technical residencies. Basic technical support and equipment may be provided on a case-by-case basis. Any additional labor or equipment will be at cost to the artist and needs to be approved by our Director of Production.
- Please note in your application if your project includes collaborators under the age of 18. The Arts + Culture team will consider these project proposals on a case-by-case basis.
- If selected, the 14Y may ask you to participate in a community engagement event as part of your residency.
- The 14Y Arts + Culture Team will not provide feedback on any applications.
For additional project and program opportunities with 14Y Arts + Culture:
- LABA: A Laboratory for Jewish Culture (NY) 2024 Fellowship | Application closes on October 15 at 11:59 PM
- Non-curated Theater Rentals, click here
- For site specific, works-in-progress, workshops, or non-performative projects, please email email@example.com
- For those interested in being a performer or activity leader at one of our upcoming 14Y After Dark events, please firstname.lastname@example.org