- Note: The locker rooms, gymnasium and pool will be closed August 26 through September 5 for renovations, cleaning, and maintenance. Click here for more information.
Fitness & Aquatics
General Swim FAQs
1. What do I need to swim at the Y?
Everyone in the pool needs a swim cap, a bathing suit, and a towel from home. Children who are not potty trained should also wear a swim diaper under their suit.
2. What’s the chlorine and PH level?
As per Department of Health, we keep the chlorine level at around 2.0, in the middle of the suggested range, which is 1.0 - 3.0. The PH is normally at 7.4, also right in the middle of DOH recommended range, which is 7.4 - 7.6.
3. What’s the pool temperature?
We keep the pool 84 degrees. The deck temperature is between 80-84 degrees.
4. What amenities do you have in the locker rooms?
We have showers equipped with body and hair shampoo dispensers, a dry sauna, hair dryers, a bathing suit spinner to dry your swim suit and bathing cap, and plenty of lockers for everyone.
5. What can I bring onto the pool deck with me?
Street shoes and food is not allowed on the pool deck. We also ask that there is no cell phone use on the pool deck.
6. Anything else I should know?
Please always think of safety first! No running on the pool deck, children under 13 years must be accompanied by an adult in the water, and let a lifeguard know if you experience or see trouble.
Member Swim FAQs
1. What’s the best swim time for me?
If you’re able to swim without any sort of help (a flotation device such as a noodle or belt), then you are welcome to attend any lap or open swim time
2. What if I need flotation help to swim a lap?
The Open Swim and Family Swim times allow for noodles and belts.
3. When can I bring my kids for free swim?
We have Family Swim every day of the week to accommodate your whole family.
4. What’s the swim pattern at the Y?
At the 14th Street Y, all lap lanes use circle swim as a swim pattern. This ensures that there is space for everyone who wants to swim without having to alert those in the lane that you are coming in.
5. Can I bring a guest?
Your membership allows you 3 free guest passes per year that you can use to invite friends and family.
Aquatic Classes FAQs
1. Do I need to be a member to sign up for classes?
No, but Members do get priority registration and discounts on classes!
2. What do I need for class?
Please bring a towel, a swim cap, and if your child is not potty trained, a swim diaper.
3. Until when can I register?
Aquatics registration is open until the first two classes of the semester. After that, the flow of the class is established and no more registrations can be taken until the next semester.
4. How do I know which class is right for my kid?
We ask that parents sign their child up for the class that is age appropriate. Your child will be evaluated and grouped, and a plan made for what skills they need to take them to the next level, and sets the course for the semester.
5. Can I watch class?
Parents can be distracting for a child while they’re learning new skills. Therefore, we invite parents and caregivers to watch during the first, second, and last classes of the semester. This lets you see where they started and how much they learned!
6. What’s the instructor to child ratio?
That depends on the skill level of your child. In the Tadpoles class, where children are separated for the first time and have few swim skills, the ratio is one adult per 5 kids. In other classes, the ratio is established based on your child’s skill. Your child has a lower instructor to child ratio as their skills improve.
7. I’m interested in private swim lessons. Who do I contact?
Cheuk Wai Negou is our Aquatics Coordinator and can help you schedule private lessons. You can contact her at [email protected]
8. At what age does a parent or caregiver not accompany a child in the water?
Starting at age 3, we offer drop-off swim classes. Until 3, one parent or caregiver must accompany the child in the water.
9. Do you have classes for special needs children?
We have swim classes designed for children with special needs who are 4 - 12 years old. Our small class sizes ensure your child receives optimal focus and attention.