14Y Senior Membership
Membership Benefits and Programs for Older Adults
Older adults play a crucial role in our inclusive community at the 14th Street Y, and we offer a variety of engaging programs geared specifically for you!
At the 14th Street Y, we believe that contemporary Jewish sensibilities can be a source of inspiration, connection, and learning. No matter what your background, we aim to inspire you to live your best life. We’re committed to the development of the whole person, to strengthening family connections and to building inclusive and sustainable communities.
As a member of the 14th Street Y, you get full access to enriching programs both in person and online, including a state-of-the-art fitness center, nearly 30 live-streaming fitness classes each week, adult studies classes, community events and workshops with partners, and more – all included!
For $57 per month, Senior Membership includes:
- Complimentary Fitness Orientation Session when you join
- Access to our Fitness Center with a full range of cardio and weight equipment
- Access to nearly 30 group fitness classes per week, offered virtually
- Access to arts and cultural programming
- Early registration and discounts on classes and programs including Camps, Preschool, Youth Classes, and many others
- Guest passes for friends and neighbors
- #14YPerks: special offers and discounts to our neighborhood partner businesses
November Senior Membership Deal
Sign up anytime in November and we’ll waive the $99 initiation fee and you’ll get the rest of the month free! Your first billing will be December 1.
Use promo code NOV2020FREE at check out to waive all upfront fees!
Book a Tour
Now it’s even easier to book a tour to see our Fitness Center for yourself. Click here to find a convenient time to meet with a membership specialist to learn more about all the 14Y has to offer.
14Y Health + Fitness for Older Adults
Community members of every age and fitness level are supported at the 14th Street Y!
The 14Y Fitness Center offers a full range of cardio and weight equipment in a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere. Our Fitness Center is staffed by friendly, knowledgeable fitness monitors, who can show you how to use equipment and answer any questions you may have. We warmly welcome everyone who wants to work out.
As we unpause programs during COVID-19, the health and safety of our community is our top priority. Please visit our health and safety guidelines for more information.
Fitness Center Orientation
To set you up for success, you’ll receive a complimentary Fitness Center Orientation when you join. You’ll learn how our Fitness Center equipment works, and get to know our friendly and knowledgeable fitness professionals.
Health + Fitness Workshops and Events
We offer a variety of health, wellness and fitness workshops and pop-ups throughout the year. From classes on nutrition to yoga intensives and CPR training workshops, we have something for everyone.
During COVID-19, these classes and workshops will be held virtually. Visit our Fitness page for more information on upcoming health and wellness workshop offerings.
Virtual Personal Training
Get the same accountability, motivation and professional guidance to achieve your fitness goals in the comfort and safety of your own home. Our certified professional trainers will work with you virtually to create a custom road map to help you achieve your fitness goals.
Personal Training Rates:
- 30 Minute Single Session: $50
- Five (5) 30-Minute Session Package: $240 ($48/session)
- Ten (10) 30-Minute Session Package: $500 ($45/session)
- One-Hour Single Session: $75
- Five (5) One-Hour Session Package: $355 ($71/session)
- Ten (10) One-Hour Session Package + 1 BONUS session: $750 ($68/session)
Please Note: We kindly request a 24-hour notice for cancellation of any booked Virtual Personal Training session.
For more information regarding personal training or to schedule a session, please contact 14Y General Manager Mike Meehan at MMeehan@14StreetY.org.
Group Fitness Classes for Active Older Adults
The 14Y offers a variety of low-impact fitness classes for every age and fitness level. To ensure the health and safety of our members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our group fitness classes are held virtually each week and are available to all active members. Group classes for active older adults include:
- Chair Yoga: Chair yoga is a term for practices that modify yoga poses so that they can be done while seated in a chair. Stable chair, strap or long scarf recommended.
- Functional Training: A series of guided exercises meant to enhance body awareness for improved posture, balance and strength.
Gentle Flow Yoga: A gentle class that combines yoga postures, breathing, and meditation. This class is geared toward students who wish to move at a gentler and slower pace.
- Iyengar Yoga: Alignment based yoga class with an emphasis on precision that supports joint mobility, bone density, balance and flexibility.
Low Impact Cardio & Conditioning: A cardio-based class with low impact movements set to rhythmic music.
- Silver Sneakers: Work out your body and your mind in this class, which alternates between cardio and muscle strength segments, plus balance exercises and brain drills.
- Slow Flow Yoga: A meditative yoga class that emphasizes peace and calm in both body and mind.
- Tai Chi: Tai chi is an art that promotes balance, strength, grace, and flexibility, and it promotes a meditative mood with its “dance of quiet motion.”
At this time, our basketball court is closed to adult leagues and pickup games until further notice.
At this time, our pool is closed until further notice.
Additional Membership Benefits for Older Adults
The 14th Street Y is more than a fitness center–we are a community center.
Adult Studies Classes
Take advantage of the educational, social, recreational, and cultural activities offered at the 14th Street Y. Our Adult Studies classes will be offered virtually until further notice. Learn more about our offerings by visiting our Adult Studies page.
Community Workshops and Events
We have a vibrant community that includes members, staff, teachers, trainers, artists, caregivers, families, local business owners, and nonprofit partners. We host community events year-round at the 14th Street Y and around downtown Manhattan, many of which are free and open to the public.
Our workshops are being offered virtually until further notice. Learn more about our offerings by visiting our Adult Studies page.
14Y Arts + Culture
The Theater at the 14th Street Y aims to bring social awareness and change through a big picture narrative. We welcome works from artists of all backgrounds, and we seek to create an inclusive cultural experience for all.
During COVID-19, our Arts + Culture offerings have gone virtual. Learn more by visiting our Arts + Culture page.
Jewish Life at the 14th Street Y aims to provide experiences for our entire community to engage in activities built on Jewish values. Our philosophy is grounded in the belief that contemporary Jewish sensibilities can be a source of inspiration, connection, and learning.
The 14Y partners with a number of downtown Manhattan Jewish institutions to create a welcoming community for all. Visit our Jewish Life page to learn more.
Sirovich Center for Balanced Living
Adult programming doesn’t stop at the 14th Street Y. The Educational Alliance provides services and programming at the Sirovich Center for Balanced Living, Located at 331 East 12th Street in downtown Manhattan. Older adults have free access to day classes, and weekend and evening programs.
Free for ages 60 and up, the Sirovich Center provides a hot lunch five days a week and offers a wide variety of programs, classes, and activities that engage both the mind and the body. The Center also has activities to assist with monitoring and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, such as weight management support, stress and relaxation programs, life transition workshops, health screenings, and more.
Learn more at EdAlliance.org/Sirovich