Artistic Advisory Committee
14Y Artistic Advisory Committee
The 14Y Arts + Culture department is creating an Artistic Advisory Committee comprised of 5–7 NYC-based working artists or arts administrators from varied genres and artistic sectors to collaborate, advise, participate in community and artistic outreach, and review artistic submissions for the 14Y Gallery and 14Y Theater. This Artistic Advisory Committee will help ensure that our artistic reach is inclusive and varied.
We’re aiming to recruit committee members who represent different perspectives and identities who will collaborate with the entire Arts + Culture team to enhance programming ideation and participate in reviewing artist submissions.
As a member of this committee, you will help review submissions, and make recommendations for artistic inclusion and representation, community outreach and engagement, and cultural viewpoints, perspectives and artistic practices that might not currently be included in the current make up within our existing Arts + Culture team.
About the 14Y Theater
The 14Y Theater’s mission focuses on social awareness and change through big picture narrative. Inspired by works that welcome artists of all backgrounds, we place artists as the heart of our community and seek to create an inclusive cultural experience for all.
The 14Y Theater honors the edgy, diverse and rich history of innovative culture making in the East Village. Each year, we curate a provocative season of theater, dance, music, film, cultural engagement activities and visual art from independent artists in dialogue with our residency program, LABA: A Laboratory for New Jewish Culture.
The 14Y Theater supports the creation of new art and culture by supporting artists in our community, specifically by providing the space, time and resources needed to create new work. The 14th Street Y endeavors to be true incubators of artists and hopefully reduce the financial strain NYC independent artists feel in producing their work.
Since our 2015-2016 Season, the 14Y Theater has hosted more than 250 unique in-person and virtual events and welcomed nearly 35,000 audience members.|
The 14Y Arts + Culture Programs and Curation
We are seeking a variety of Programs, Performances/Productions and Artists to be a part of our 2023-2025 Season in our Black Box Theater and Gallery Spaces- across disciplines and genres including but not limited to theater, theater for young audiences, dance, music, puppetry, multimedia, performance art, visual, culinary, literary, panels, speakers and cultural/folk arts or any combination thereof.
Core Responsibilities and Expectations of the committee members:
- Assist with outreach and awareness to artists and companies to help ensure a wide applicant pool for the 14Y 2024-2025 curation process.
- Primary review period will be November 2023 through March 2024.
- Review and score the 2024-2025 submissions/applications with fellow committee members and 14Y Staff (not to exceed 30 first round applications and 15 second round applications.)
- Provide feedback to the Director of Arts + Culture on application and review process.
- Review applications through an equity and anti-racism lens.
- Make recommendations for artistic community outreach and engagement activities and events.
- Participate/attend (when possible) in 14Y outreach activities, productions and panel events
- Engage as a member of the 14Y Theater community of artists and administrators.
- General time commitment is October 2023 to June 2024.
- Attend 3-5 meetings between October 2023 and June 2024 (Hybrid is OK, in person preferred).
- Make recommendations for 2025 committee members.
- We will prioritize the recruitment of committee members from the BIPOC, AAPI, Latinx, and LGBTQIA+, female-identifying, disability, and neurodivergent communities.
- We seek committee members with a variety of artistic disciplines, including but not limited to theater, theater for young audiences, dance, music, puppetry, multimedia, performance art, visual, culinary, literary, fight and intimacy direction, designers and cultural/folk arts.
- Prospective committee members should have an extensive working knowledge of at least one of the five boroughs of New York City and its artistic make up.
- We seek to make this committee be intergenerational.
- Familiarity with Jewish Culture is helpful.
- Familiarity with the Lower East Side is helpful.
- Priority will be given to those residing full or part-time in NYC.
- Must be 21 or older.
- Must have at least 5–10 years of artistic work experience.
The 14Y Will provide each committee member:
- $700 Stipend
- Access to use our shared workspace in theater (when not in use)
- Discounts for our rehearsal spaces
- Discounts to our theater space
- Discounts to theater tickets and workshops